It is a sexually transmitted disease caused by the bacterium Treponema pallidum. It is transmitted through unprotected (vaginal / anal / oral) relationships, but also from mother to fetus during pregnancy.
Quali sono i sintomi ?
- In 50% of cases, syphilis is completely asymptomatic.
- It has 4 stages, each characterized by different symptoms.
1. Primary syphilis: A vesicle in the genital mucous membranes (level of cervix, vulva, vagina, perine. Generally painless which then becomes an ulcer. It disappears after 4-6 weeks even without treatment.
If they are very small or in areas not visible, the lesions often go unnoticed.
2. Secondary syphilis: Occurs 3 to 10 weeks after the primary stage. It is characterized by a generally non-itchy skin rash, ulcers on mucous membranes, hair loss, fever, muscle pain and other generic symptoms.
3. Latent syphilis: It is asymptomatic, it can last months or years. The disease continues to progress by damaging several organs.
4. Tertiary syphilis: The infection can permanently damage the heart, brain, bones, skin and other organs.
How to prevent it?
- There is no vaccine that protects against syphilis.
How is it treated?
- A blood test is required for diagnosis.
If you have symptoms, call us for advice
Spanish / English language